In a nutshell, Open Barbers is a hairdressing project open to everyone, but particularly including people who identify as queer, transgender, lesbian, gay or bi-sexual. We set up in response to how underserved we feel this community of people are in the mainstream. Anyone is welcome to attend Open Barbers, as we wish to create a happy, comfortable and supportive atmosphere that we believe will appeal to anyone regardless of their identity.
In a recent survey, one of our clients wrote: As someone who often used to be read as femme, I really appreciate that no assumptions were made about what kind of haircut I wanted, and what pronouns I use. Even though I’ve spent the past decade or so in and around queer culture, that wasn’t something I’d really experienced before. Actually it made me cry a bit, in a good way.
We have been running open barbers since 2011 as a pop up project, and we have recently been offered a fantastic opportunity by the salon we collaborate with, Chaps and Dames, to start renting our own dedicated section of the salon which we can decorate, furnish and increase our hours.
We really need your help to get us started. Below is a list of things we need, and how much we raise will determine how much of this we can fulfil. The start up costs for Open Barbers total £9,000.
• Rental costs for the salon space
• High quality barbers chairs to ensure our clients and our barbers are comfortable.
• Backwash and reliable water boiler for washing and conditioning hair.
• Mirrors, shelving, lockable cabinets and trolleys.
• Painting and decorating, removing the lino flooring and restoring the wooden floorboards.
• Building space saving and comfortable seating for our clients.
• Building and installing a coffee, tea, biscuits and zines station and keeping it topped up.
• Basic PC for onsite appointments management, website and social media updating.
• Hairdressing equipment, products, gowns and towels.
• Health and safety, housekeeping and cleaning products and items.
Please help this London-based initiative get going!
This is very much Hebe right now
The most feared phrase in our flat: “while you’re there…”
based on extensive observation, I believe that my cats have only a tenuous grasp on how much of my body is “me”
It’s like, Head: definitely Big Friend, note eyes and noise-hole.
Hands: 90% certainty of Big Friend, 10% possibility of toy. comprised of two main parts, the rubby-rubby and the wriggly-scritchers. does Big Friend control them with her mind? the mechanism is unclear.
Arms, aka “Cuddle Snakes”: do these help Big Friend’s hands from getting lost? good place to sit.
Torso: ??? we have no idea what this is. smells like Big Friend but serves no observable purpose. treat as terrain.
Legs, see: “The Lap Conundrum”: 25% chance of Big Friend, totally uninteresting. WHEN LAP: 90% chance of Big Friend, excellently warm. where does the lap go? our finest cat scientists seek the answer to this mystery, but no breakthroughs as of yet.
Feet, aka “Twitchy-Kickers”: 10% chance of Big Friend, 90% chance of foe. all attempts to communicate have ended in hostility. Destroy on sight.
Hebe is not sure about this lollipop concept.